Public Liability

Have you been injured in a public place, or on private property, because the owner was negligent?
Have you experienced a slip, trip, or fall that left you injured? Have you been injured by a faulty product you were using?
Has your injury resulted in a disability?

You have the right to seek compensation, because no matter what products you use and no matter whether you’re on public or private property, you have a basic right to safety.

Call Wyatts Compensation Lawyers today on 1800 773 880 or make an enquiry.

Public Liability and accident compensation cases – the Civil Liability Act

You have the right to be safe while going about your daily business, no matter whether you’re at home, in the office, in the street or in a public place. To suffer an injury or even to be disabled by an accident is always upsetting, but if it was caused by the negligence of an owner, a renter or a government organisation – poor maintenance of property or walkways, unsafe equipment or procedures, careless or risky habits – then your pain and suffering can feel even worse. You might have major medical costs or you might have lost income, which someone else, by justice, should be paying for.

In NSW law, compensation for accidents in public places and on private property is covered by a law called the Civil Liability Act. Organisations (like governments responsible for streets, parks, playgrounds and footpaths) and many businesses, property owners and occupiers have public liability insurance, to cover compensation payouts, called damages, in case someone suffers an accident.

Under public liability law, personal injury compensation payouts in NSW can cover:

  • Trips, slips and falls – whether they were caused by broken pathways or stairs, missing handrails, wet floors without warning signs, or any other neglected or unresolved safety issue
  • Defective products – including toys, tools, furniture, vehicles and personal items
  • Food poisoning and allergies
  • Physical assault and sexual assault
  • Animal attacks, including dog and cat scratches or bites, and wildlife in public places
  • Children’s accidents and injuries in schools, playgrounds and parks
  • Sport accidents and injuries

There are different kinds of compensation for accidents and injuries in public places and on private property. Compensation payouts can come in weekly instalments or they could be paid in lump sums. Compensation payouts can be made for:

  • Pain, suffering and disability – compensation for these is usually paid as a lump sum, which can be large
  • Loss of earnings (past and future), if the injury or disability caused by your accident means you can’t work
  • Costs for medical treatment and ongoing care
  • Legal costs – although at Wyatts the policy is that if your case doesn’t win, you don’t have to pay

What should I do to claim compensation for public liability and how long will it take?

Public liability cases can be complex. They require a large amount of evidence and it is up to you to prove that your injury was caused by the negligence of the owner or occupier of the property where your accident happened. The owner or occupier and their insurer don’t have to prove anything – they only have to respond to your claim.

To give your public liability claim the best chance of achieving a maximum payout, you should:

  • Seek medical treatment as soon as you can
  • Get advice from an expert public liability lawyer, ideally an accredited specialist in personal injury law
  • Keep copies of medical records (reports, prescriptions) and images (photos, X-rays or scans)
  • Take photos or videos of the place where your accident and injury happened
  • Take photos of your injuries or of the physical signs of your disability
  • Obtain the contact details of anyone who witnessed your accident or injury
  • Keep copies of receipts to show your expenses, or payslips to show the earnings you have lost because of your accident

Most importantly: find out who is responsible for the safety of the place where your accident happened. It might be just one person – a renter or property owner – or it could be a like a business or government organisation that employs someone to look after that place. The more specific details you can provide for your case, the more likely you are to win compensation.

Public liability and personal injury cases are often resolved in less than 3 years. However, every state and territory imposes a time limit on when you can lodge your compensation claim. In NSW, your claim has to start within 3 years of the day of your accident. There are exceptions, depending on the case. Also, insurers often defend themselves hard, to prevent you from winning compensation. The sooner you make your claim, the more time there is to fight for it.

You should seek legal advice from an experienced public liability lawyer, as soon as possible, in order to maximise your chance of a successful compensation claim. Wyatts have the compensation lawyers you need to fight for your rights against insurance companies and win the compensation deserve.

Why choose Wyatts’ Public Liability lawyers?

At Wyatts, our team has over 50 years of combined experience in Public Liability compensation and have an accredited specialist in personal injury law on our legal staff. Expertise matters highly in personal injury and public liability cases: to win compensation it takes intensive argument, backed up by detailed evidence, especially when insurers fight back. You need lawyers with the knowledge, skill and tenacity to ensure your compensation claim succeeds.

It is always distressing to experience pain and suffering because someone failed to secure, manage or take care of a place, an animal or a product for which they are responsible. Wyatts Compensation Lawyers take pride in offering clients one-on-one legal service at what can be a very hard time. We work hard to seek the compensation you need to get your life back on track and make a recovery. And Wyatts staff never treat you like a number.

Wyatts Compensation Lawyers’ phone lines are open 24/7. We can also help you in your own language: we have in-house Mandarin and Tagalog translators and we can arrange interpreters for other languages at any time.

With five offices conveniently located near major hospitals in the Sydney CBD, Parramatta, Rockdale and Liverpool, Wyatts lawyers can advise you wherever you live. Contact us on 1800 773 880 or book an appointment for our Sydney CBD and Parramatta offices.

For all public liability and personal injury cases, our policy is No Win, No Fee.